SOUTH BRONX SCHOOL: Teachers are ****** to Have Betsy Combier

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Teachers are ****** to Have Betsy Combier

I was in Epcot this past Friday, enjoying lunch in France with my family when lo and behold I heard a voice. This voice told me that I at one time was a fool. That I was conned. That I didn't see what I should've seen.

I edited this blog post from a post I had written back on May 16, 2016. Draw your own conclusions.


I first met Betsy Combier almost 10 years ago during my time in the RR during the time of Numb Nuts. I remember her showing up every now and then, placing her stuff down on a desk, sitting down, and watching a line form to see her as if people were lining up to get Mickey Mantle's autograph.

Betsy at the time was working for the UFT. She was the liaison, or something like that, for the people of the Rubber Room to the outside world. She was the friendly face, or more importantly, she was the only face that seemed to care.

With the changing of the guard at the UFT, soon Betsy was not employed by them. She was now a free agent. In my opinion this was a blessing for Betsy and the teachers she sought to help. Betsy was now a free agent. There was no stopping her now.

Betsy along with her blogs, NYC Rubber Room Reporter, and Parent Advocates, has been att the forefront of removing the sheath back over the mess that the NYCDOE has created over the years. Betsy has been, and still is, the leader in assuring those damaged by the NYCDOE that they will be heard and that their rights will not be trampled on.

I recall back in the summer of 2013 when I and several teachers in my school had our careers trampled on. I contacted Betsy to meet with us and without hesitation she did. We met at a diner on 2nd Ave and spent a couple of hours not only soaking in her knowledge of what we can do, but more importantly, having that sympathetic ear that we were missing for so long. This is what Betsy is about.

Betsy is about someone who will be with you and advocate for you from the very beginning to the very end. Betsy is about once her work is done with you will be a friend for life. Someone that you can call day or night when you have that feeling of helplessness and need someone that you can be assured will be there for you.

Betsy fights for you. She fights for us. Betsy is persistent, never gives up. When her path forward in fighting for a teacher is blocked that does not stop her at all. She dusts herself off, rolls her he sleeves and finds a new path to go down. Ceaselessly fighting and advocating until she gets the results that she wants, or better, demands.

I consider Betsy a true friend, a trusted friend. I'm not the only one that does. There are many she as helped. Many she has rescued from the abyss.

Betsy is a lifeline. When you are sinking, when you feel desperate, when you feel alone in your fight there is no one better than Betsy to have on your side.

Betsy has been there for many teachers and I hope she will continue to be there for us for many years to come. You can't go wrong with Betsy.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so true. Betsy is very knowledgeable about Education Law, chancellor's regulations, union prerogatives, etc. And she is also the ONLY person that is trustworthy. She can definitely help a teacher get out of a principal's badly created circumstances. She's a fighter until the victory is overcome.

Anonymous said...

I love her blog. One point though: She seems to believe that NYSUT lawyers are best over private lawyers due the fact that NYSUT lawyers "know" all the players involved in 3020a hearings. However, some well known folks such as South Bronx School blogger as well as Portelos used private lawyers. Does anybody have any inside word on who is better at representing teachers at 3020a? (Private vs NYSUT lawyer)

Anonymous said...

Are you two commentors that stupid? Zucker crossed out has positives and referred to his previous article being written during a time he was a fool. Then look at his title. Go back to Reading 101, 3:14 and 3:43.

Anonymous said...

Peter, What did Betsy do that turned you against her? I like to know instead of reading between the lines.

Anonymous said...

I am a fool for asking if private lawyers are better than NYSUT lawyers? Sorry if I peed on your parade. I was just asking a question. -Anno 3:43

Anonymous said...

It took you along time Pete to figure out the blatantly obvious. Glad you're thinking clearly now.

Anonymous said...

Not Peter here. Anno 3:43. Still would like to know the answer to my question as to which lawyers are best. (Private vs. NYSUT)

Anonymous said...

You can't really generalize about either group. Look at each lawyer individually. Personally I'd go private. You get what you pay for or don't pay for. Didn't mean to offend you earlier.

Bronx Teacher said...

@anonymous 3:43. I'm surprised. From what Betsy shared with me was NOT to trust NYSUT lawyers at all.

Anyway, private or NYSUT lawyer, you go with whom you feel comfortable with. And remember, you are the client which means you are the boss. The lawyer works for you. You and only you are your best advocate.

Anonymous said...

I see both sides. A NYSUT lawyer knows the arbitrators and hearing officers well. However, it seems like a private lawyer would have more "invested" in representing a teacher due to the fact that a good arbitrator decision will bring more business to that private lawyer. NYSUT lawyers are going to be working regardless if they have a good track record.

ed notes online said...

Peter used a NYSUT lawyer for his hearing and while I won't speak for Peter I was impressed. When I didn't understand why she wasn't going harder at the DOE lawyer she said I know her and I want to give her rope to over reach. She also had good rationales for all her decisions and I learned a lot from her -- and by the way -- she welcomed me into her conferences with Peter and even took some of my suggestions. The other NYSUT lawyer I saw was the Portelos hearing and I think we were all impressed. I've been to hearings with a private lawyer and he totally blew the case. It is not a slam dunk you get what you pay for. WHy not check out free since your dues are paying for it anyway?

Bronx Teacher said...

Norm, I couldn't have survived or gotten through my hearings without your help and support

Anonymous said...

Some people toot their own horn a bit too loudly and this should alert you something is not right if they need to do that to get business....I agree with the blogger above, regardless of whom you choose, NYSUT or private, you are the client and boss...If someone you hire starts acting abusive, and inappropriate-- after you paid them already, then you know you made a big mistake.......Unfortunately, you don't always get to see people's true colors until after you have hired them....with NYSUT at least it is coming from money you have already paid.....paying for a private lawyer, does NOT assure good representation...at least that is what I have personally witnessed.

Anonymous said...

I meant I totally agree with "Bronx Teacher" not just any of the bloggers.....and I can totally relate!!!

Anonymous said...

Simple. Betsy is a grifter. Don't forget it.

Anonymous said...

Seems like the only reason to be in the UFT these days is that we all have a lawyer ready to go at any time,

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, I would not trust Betsy, Portelos, and Peter. At one point, the three of them were friends and now they are not, like please. I wonder who has the bigger ego? I couldn't place a bet between Portelos or Betsy because their stories are "I am go wonderful because I expose corruption in the DOE and the UFT"

If anyone still believes their shit is a fool and a crackhead has more common sense. As for Peter, "he's the fool that he speaks of"