SOUTH BRONX SCHOOL: More About Frank

Friday, September 12, 2008

More About Frank

Remember "The Terminator"? I have been thinking about a line from that movie all day since seeing Frank in action today. There is a scene in which Reese, aptly played by Michael Biehn is explaining what is after Sarah Connor. "It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop," Reese tells Sarah as they are hiding from Arnold. That is how I feel about Frank most of the time. I don't know whether or not to wash my hands of him, or pity him and do everything I can to help.

Frank first came to our school several years ago. From the get go he was a handful. Not only was he intimidating and bullying students in his class and grade but was attempting to do it with staff as well. I remember one instance in which he looked menacingly at a cluster teacher while pounding his fist into his hand.

The behavior in the classroom was no better. Not following directions, intimidating smaller students, not doing any classwork or homework. Anecdotes were written copiously and nothing was done except to change his class and meet several time with the mother whose favorite line was "I don't know what to do with him, " and just state blankly. I mean I know and I empathize that mom works all day and the dad is not home, but there has to be some parental responsibility taken. She gave the standard "I have a mental health appointment for Frank" line but it is now and as it was then it was an empty promise. Even when threatened to have ACS called on her.

Frank's behavior last year was 180 degrees better. Except with the clusters and at lunch. I think he ate by himself in the cafeteria and did not go outside for about 5 months if memory serves. But at least in his class Frank did what he was supposed to do. The reason for this is simple. He had a strong homeroom teacher that did not accept nor tolerate his anti social behavior. I guess you could say Frank heard the voice of God.

Now here we are nine days into the school year and the proverbial shit is about to hit the proverbial fan. Mrs AK can't control him. I find it ironic that she has him in her class. All that ass kissing for naught. I guess one reaps what they sow. It doesn't help that her room always looks like a tornado hit it, and she is so frazzled all the time it would make me go nuts. But fortunately for her Frank is about to be moved to another class. There is some shuffling going on in the grade and Mrs AK again escapes responsibility.

What makes it so sad is that Frank is super smart. And that also is the problem. He knows how to manipulate, how to push the right buttons. He is a schmoozer when he needs to be. But don't, especially if you are a student, ever get on his bad side. The thing is I discovered how to best settle him down. Oh yes I did share it with one of the assistant principals. But thus far nothing. No implementation, no purchasing of the material needed. All that is need is abut two dollars. But the school can't do it alone. Mom needs to get her act together and start becoming a partner in her child's education. She has never even come to back to school night.

Worst of all this is not fair to the other students in Frank's class or any of the kids who come into contact with him throughout the school day. These kids have a right to a full day of education and lose out when all the focus is on Frank. Worst of all, and I hope I am wrong but won't be surprised if it happens is that one day Frank will seriously injure a student.

No comments: