SOUTH BRONX SCHOOL: Very Sad News

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Very Sad News

I always loved social studies. I was political as a kid. I grew up in a political household. My grandfather was a precinct captain for the Democrats back in the day. He would canvass cemeteries to register new voters.

I always ask my child about what is being taught in social studies. I look forward to the day when my child is old enough and we can go on trips to all the historic sites in the Northeast. That is why I was saddened when in the course of chatting with some fifth grade students I learned a horrible truth.

I was having pizza with several fifth graders when I asked them what is it they are currently studying in social studies. I was looking forward to them telling me and having a back and forth discussion. Imagine my chagrin when I was informed that they will not be doing any social studies until March. Why March you ask? The reason the students gave me is that between now and the statewide math exam all they will be doing is getting ready for the test.

Yup, lots of learning happening there.

1 comment:

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

There is no need for children to the learn the origins of democracy or its ideals. We ask children to do one thing and one thing only--consume!