For those unaware, Mona Davids has started a new advocacy group, New York City Parents Union. As we all know, Mona is a force, and I personally can't think of anyone better to be part of such an undertaking. Mona has started this with Muba Yarofulani, Lisa Donlan, Mariama Sanoh, Paola de Kock. What a formidable team! Reminds me of Murderers Row of the 1927 Yankees.
According to Mona; ....
"we're focused on fighting Bloomberg's teacher layoffs and budget cuts which we have to organize against this week so we have actions after passover/easter. We have to lobby the city council not to pass Bloomberg's budget. We need folks to make visits to their city council members and share with them how it will affect their schools and kids."The Parents Union will educate parents how to navigate the educational system and empower parents to advocate for their children in their schools for the following reforms:
- Smaller Class Sizes
- Excellent Community Public Schools for ALL Children
- More Teaching – Less Testing
- Parent and Teacher Empowerment and Leadership
- Equitable Funding for ALL Schools
- Moratorium on school closings and charter co-locations
- Culturally Relevant Curriculum
- Expand Pre Kindergarten and Early Intervention Programs
- Qualified and Experienced Educators and Educational Leaders
- Enforcement of the law requiring charters to recruit, retain and show their retention efforts of students with special needs and English Language Learners. The practice of pushing/counseling out such students must end
- An end to the granting of waivers for chancellor appointees who do not qualify under the law
- An immediate end to mayoral control and the failed education policies of the past 9 years