SOUTH BRONX SCHOOL: It's a Far Cry

Sunday, July 29, 2012

It's a Far Cry

This will be an interesting blog post, at least in my opinion, so please, be patient and read fully. At the end, you will have an "a-hah" moment.

Today is Geddy Lee's (of Rush) 59th birthday. I made a special morning of it. A cup of coffee, a cupcake with a candle (hoping this time Geddy would stop by) and popping in Rush's latest concert film, "Time Machine 2011: Live In Cleveland." When I got to the last song (before the encore), my mind started to wonder.

Far Cry is off 2007's Snakes and Arrows CD. It was the first single released, and even then when I first heard it, and subsequently live, that summer, I always felt the lyrics are a good allegory, metaphor for what is happening in education today.  Just like 2112 (which will be analyzed sometime soon) that I had thought of, as well as The Frustrated Teacher. 

So let's look at these lyrics. You'll see what I mean.

Pariah dogs and wandering madmen
Barking at strangers and speaking in tongues


In India, feral dogs are known as pariah dogs. The pack, all the deformers everywhere have that pack mentality, with a few, Rhee, Uncle Mike, the alpha males. These deformers are the wandering madman, like in the late 19th century going from town to town selling the magic elixirs, and ministers selling false religion.


They bark, the yell, at strangers, at teachers, at anyone to show that they think they are right. 

Electrical changes are charging up the young

The young are starting to fight back now against these "changes" in education. They are our most need allies. 

It's a far cry from the world we thought we'd inherit
It's a far cry from the way we thought we'd share it


It is indeed a far cry from what we thought it would be when we became teachers. It is a far cry from what students and parents expected from education. 


One day I feel I'm on top of the world
And the next it's falling in on me
I can get back on
I can get back on

One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel,
And the next it's rolling over me
I can get back on
I can get back on


We at one time felt as teachers we were on top of the world. At one time we had all these ideals which we too soon learn is not enough. We see as teachers how everything is collapsing in on us and know we can get back on the ball, back to where we need to be. But we got to get out in front of that wheel. We need to not be crushed by the uncaring, incompetent, ediots. We can get back on, but only if we all work together.

Whirlwind life of faith and betrayal


Everyone with a stake in education at one time had faith in the system. we have all been betrayed. 

Rise in anger, fall back, and repeat

We try to rise in anger, we keep on fighting. But we fall back for lack of support. From a union that sells us out, to teachers that are afraid, to the media who seeks to hurt us.

Slow degrees on the dark horizon

We see down the road, and it looks hopeless, it looks like things will get worse. 

Full moon rising lays silver at your feet

When we see that full moon it will guide us home, to the promised land of the days when the profession was respected and seen as noble.

We can get back on, only if we are in control. Only if we take ownership of our profession, only if we fight like there is no tomorrow.


For your viewing and listening pleasure...

No comments: