SOUTH BRONX SCHOOL: My Meeting With State Assemblyman Mike Spano

Sunday, April 17, 2011

My Meeting With State Assemblyman Mike Spano


Yesterday, Assemblyman Mike Spano (D) Yonkers took time out of his busy schedule, and on a Saturday, to personally meet with me concerning LIFO, or rather as it should be called, seniority rights. I truly wish to thank Mike (as he insisted I call him) for taking the time to listen and talk with me. For those who are not aware, Mike's wife is WCBS-TV's Mary Calvi.

I wanted to discuss LIFO, or rather, seniority rights, with Mike. Mike understood my concern, and listened quite intently. I asked Mike if there is any chance of the bill to do away with seniority rights coming up for a vote in the Assembly. Mike assured me, "That it is dead in the water. It will never happen." Though I was quite pleased with the answer, I still wanted some reassurance.

I asked him, "What if Uncle Mike throws a hissy fit?" Mike responded, "As long as Shelly Silver is the the speaker, there is no way this will see the light of day in the Assembly."

My reply to Mike was,"Even with a new chancellor, you sure?" Mike reassuringly responded, "I am sure!"

We made some small talk during the rest of the meeting. As I left, I just couldn't resist one more question.

"What about mayoral control? Can we do away with it?" At least I got an honest answer. "Too soon to repeal it. Let's see how it still plays out." I looked sad, but said, "How about when Uncle Mike is gone. Can it be repealed then?" Mike smiled, looked at me, and said, "That is a possibility."

We shook hands, and I thanked him for his time. But I left knowing what needs to be done.

We need to keep Shelly Silver healthy. We need to make sure he gets reelected. We need to make sure Uncle Mike does not try to create a coup in the Assembly. And, it wouldn't hurt to convert to Orthodox Judaism and attend the the same shul as Shelly. Perhaps we can go to the same minion Shelly.

No comments: