SOUTH BRONX SCHOOL: Ruben Brosbe Shortcomings Are A Shock To Him

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Ruben Brosbe Shortcomings Are A Shock To Him


There are many Rubens I like and enjoy. I enjoy a hearty Rueben Sandwich sans Russian Dressing. I remember when my father introduced me tho this treat back in 1976 in Philadelphia. The best Rueben I ever had was an open one at the old Marty's Mug and Munch in Ardsley. I always enjoyed the erstwhile Rueben Kincaid, manager of the Partridge Family, and flunky in all of Danny's get rich schemes. And of course the singer/actor Ruben Blades. If you have never seen him on "Disorganized Crime" do so now.

A Ruben I have no use for is New York Post guest columnist, and Gotham Schools contributor (dear God, why?), and blogger Ruben Brosbe. Ruben is one of those nebbishy, I am smarter than thou, Ivy eggheads that thinks he is smarter than everyone else, has an extremely narrow minded view of the world, and just lacks plain common sense. As my grandpa once said, "The smartest people turn out to be the stupidest."

I mean just look at Ruben's Linkedin page. What is his job title? "Dedicated Teacher." Yes, as if he is the only one, and just so above the fray. We are all very impressed with your Ivy resume and Ivy clubs. You are so very special Ruben. I bet John Bender thinks your mommy and daddy are so proud.

So what is it about Ruben? Ruben is up there in the world of Matt Polazzo, Princess Sydney Morris, and Little Evan Stone. Ruben decided that his blog and position with Gotham Schools, which incidentally is nothing more than the clueless rantings of a botard, has given him privilege, and decided to yap for the Post.

So what is it that Ruben has written that got the crack team's knickers all bent out of shape?

Throughout my first year, there was nobody more aware of my shortcomings than I was.

No, more, much more were aware of your shortcomings as well. But welcome to reality. We all have shortcomings. I for one can't hit the curve. My cat chases her tail. Deal with it. We all have it. Stop thinking you are special.

I was. Still, it was difficult to see that first data report with its embarrassing and pejorative label: "below average."

To quote Mr Bill, "OH NO!!!" That must really suck for any Ivy Leaguer to be below average. I would rather have my child be taught by any graduate of SUNY than someone from Penn. Ruben, you just see what you want to see. The mirror always lies.

I knew that my data report would serve as motivation to do better. I would work until I was at the top of "my class."

Wow, but in your blog and other writings, you just don't seem to get it. You just don't get it What it is ... well, you're not really sure. You move like you're walking on thin ice. Talking like you're still insecure

I scored in the 41st and 38th percentile for reading and math, respectively.This time, I was "average," as compared to peers who had taught similar student populations for the same length of time.

Boo-hoo. Gosh, don't you know the tests are all a sham? They are a gimmick. Two entities benefit from tests and none of them are teachers or students. The testing companies, and the administrators to puff out their chests or two lay blame at others for their failings. In fact you wrote in your blog on August 16, 2010;
What do these scores tell me? First I will say that these scores are a much more accurate indication of my students' performance levels than any scores I have seen before. While they are definitely lower than "expected," those expectations were based on previous models of scoring, which as we now all know were deeply flawed.
It was improvement, at least, but I didn't choose to teach in The Bronx in order to be average.

Firstly, on behalf of the Bronx, we thank you for coming and gracing us with your wonderfulness. But, you came to teach in the Bronx because you believed that only a white graduate of Penn would know what is best for the little boys and girls of color.

It's a terrifying prospect, knowing that parents will have the opportunity to see my name and my disappointing data report.

The more I read, the more I see it is all about you. Y-O-U. But again you contradict yourself in your blog post of March 5, 2009;

That said, the whole thing has to be taken with a grain of salt. As much as my job has been overwhelmed by testing, I refuse to judge my performance on test scores alone. However, I will argue that those scores need to be published alongside a thoughtful and careful explanation of their meaning, and that is my reason for preemptively releasing my own data.
You are a teacher and a gentleman. Falling on your sword like that has the entire crack team here reaching for the Kleenex. In fact, wait, just hold on. I feel a tear welling up in my eye. Oh, never mind.

However, I will argue that those scores need to be published alongside a thoughtful and careful explanation of their meaning, and that is my reason for preemptively releasing my own data.

Again, you contradict yourself on September 29, 2009;
about how one major issue with standardized tests is not the tests themselves, but people scoring them without accountability, consistency or any real interest in the outcome. If the scores are simply printed without a thorough and responsible analysis, that will do a disservice to the thousands of teachers who work tirelessly to help their students succeed
Excuse me? There is not thorough responsible analysis. The closest there is to that is some putz closing his eyes and throwing a dart.

While I know it's not easy, and the data is flawed, I have felt these report cards have been a worthwhile tool to judge my performance and push myself harder.

You are just one endless contradiction aren't you? You speak out of both sides of your mouth. You want to have your cake and eat it too. You want to be anything and everything. I just don't get you.

January 20, 2010 you blabbered;
I argued that for all its faults, the NCLB has had an overall positive impact on American education. and Chancellor Klein will pay attention for this part, because it's important. Now for the bad news. And I hope Pres. Obama, Sec. Duncan, Mayor BloombergNCLB hasn't fixed education.
And then nine days later you blibbered;
NCLB has made positive progress by bringing vital attention the ways in which education in this country has failed the most vulnerable children. By creating a policy that singles out English Language Learners, children with special needs and children in high-need communities, NCLB has brought these students out of the shadows, at least in terms of the national conversation.
Geez, make up your mind!!!

Anyway, you know what I see. I see a person, a boy, who for the first time is seeing what he truly is. Just another average schnook. You at one time were the golden boy of your high school, but at Penn you were with other golden boys, and girls and you were knocked down a few notches. Now in the real world you have seen how, and resent teacher's with degrees from CUNY are so much better and successful than you and you just can't handle it.

One more thing. In your Post exclusive one thing I have taken away. You are more worried about you, than you are your students, your school, and your colleagues. I did have a wonderful idea I would photoshop you but your first line gave me a great idea.





















1 comment:

Pooh On You! said...

Reuben seems to be experiencing an identity crisis, and "sandwiched" between using ketchup or mustard. How many "U" ratinsg has he received for his students' low scores, and will he be facing a 3020-A for incompetency? Pass the pickles, please!