SOUTH BRONX SCHOOL: Mr FG (First Grade)

Friday, October 3, 2008

Mr FG (First Grade)

After a long morning I finally make it to the bathroom and whose shoes do I see in the stall next to me? Yes, Mr First Grade. How did I know? It is easy. The slacks that were cuffed with staples, the uneven cuffs, the shoes that are appropriated from a sleeping homeless person. Just to easy.

I say good morning and promptly go about my business. Mr FG can't shut up. He continues harping on how he is being persecuted by not only the powers that be, but other teachers as well. I wished he had chosen another word other than persecute. Let's look at the definition:

1: to harass or punish in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict ; specifically : to cause to suffer because of belief 2: to annoy with persistent or urgent approaches (as attacks, pleas, or importunities)
I don't think his beliefs are being persecuted, unless of course his belief that he is a capable teacher, and a fine human being that should be taken seriously. I think if he wishes to be taken seriously he shouldn't get drunk in a bar and dance for nickels. And there have not been any persistent or urgent approaches towards him. So persecuted? Maybe he should go to Darfur or speak to a Holocaust victim to learn the meaning of persecution.

And this morning he doesn't shut the f*** up! He is droning on and on how every single person in the school is out to get him. "They all talk about me behind my back", he keeps on saying. I am thinking that he needs some Reynolds Wrap for a hat. I finally ask him to let me have some privacy, the broccoli from last night is not doing me well.


He has leveled charges against teachers in years past that he is being asked to do more work than he thinks he should. When he was allowed a classroom his students came out worse off in June than they were at the beginning of the year. But what he has pulled this year is shameful. The staff have gone overboard to help him. How does he repay these people? He spits on them. He is an ingrate. And worse, he is delusional. Delusional about his sense of self.




No comments: